Pages

12 August 2012

The Golden Compass

I've been in mood to re-read all the books that I loved growing up. I recently acquired Philp Pullman's trilogy "His Dark Materials" and since I haven't read them since before the movie came out in 2007, my views have definitely changed.

Goodreads Info Page
The Golden Compass has a lot of religious influences. Like a lot. I remember reading this thinking that the Church was playing a role in why people did what they did, but it never became as obvious until The Amber Spyglass. It was just the adventures of Lyra, 12 year old bandit gutter rat who lived at Jordan College. But now that I'm older and understand more, it shows how much more of a driving force they were, as well as all the underlying symbolism.

On the plus side, some things never change. I still cannot pronounce dæmon. I still blasted through the fight scenes at Bolvangar. And I still love this book. It has the capability to stand on its own, but it is so much more complete with the other two books following them up.

So if you'll excuse me, I'm off to get in a few chapters of The Subtle Knife in before Weeds starts :)

1 comment:

  1. Nice comment :D
    I've read Pullman's trilogy twice. Once definitely before the movie came out and I can't remember when i've read it for the second time. Both time, I did not like the books. I usually do like symbolic stories full of myths and religious influences. But the adventures of Lyra lead their readers too far away for me to follow... Maybe it's something in this world i can't admit... something beyond my own way to understand the world. It actually happens twice for me : once with this books trilogy and the second time with a famous anime TV show, Escaflowne. Very weird... It means that I'm less open minded than I thought... very disturbing feeling...

    ReplyDelete